Wednesday, November 25, 2015

10 Air Travel Questions, Asked and Answered

 -

As a self-proclaimed air travel expert, I get questions all the time about the airline industry.  I decided to compile 10 questions I get pretty regularly and answer them for you.

1.  How do I find the cheapest airline tickets?

I covered that in my post Best Online Sites for Booking Cheap or Discounted Airline Tickets, where I listed sites including Hipmunk, Kayak and Cheapflights. And this post is also helpful: How to Snag Those Rock-Bottom Air Travel Deals.

Finally, I'm a big fan (and have scored some major deals) on SecretFlyer.com.

2.  Can a commercial jet fly safely with only one engine?

Today's modern jet aircraft are able to fly safely with only one engine. In an emergency, a plane can be flown with no engines, as demonstrated during US Airways Flight 1549, Miracle on the Hudson.

3.  What happens if my flight is delayed or cancelled?

The first thing to do is not panic. You can read my tips here: 10 Things You Can Do To Handle Flight Delays And Cancellations.

4.  What happens if an airline loses my luggage?

This has happened to me four times in my travels; once my luggage was never found. I answer the question in this post: What Everyone Should Know About Lost Luggage. I also suggest carrying an emergency kit in your carry-on that includes a dental travel kit and a mini deodorant.

5.  What are three items you never travel without?

One, my Bose QC25 noise cancelling headphones to get away from the noise of crying babies, loud passengers and engines. Two, Pampers baby wipes, which do everything from refresh hands and faces to cleaning airplane surfaces.

Three, a pashmina, which can be used as a wrap, a pillow, a skirt cover and an accessory to dress up travel outfits. And check out other items I recommend that every traveler have for a comfortable flight.

6.  What are the best ways to get an upgrade to first or business class?

This is one of my most popular questions.

Airlines are really getting tight with upgrades overall, especially on international flights. But some ways you can get it are: if you have gold or above frequent flyer status on an airline; if you have an airline-branded credit card; if you've bought a full-fare economy class ticket; or if you dress like you should be sitting in premium class. None of these are guaranteed, but they can help.

7.  How do I handle it if I'm downgraded from first or business class on a flight?

This very thing happened to me on the first part of an international flight from Washington Dulles Airport. The simple answer is that you are refunded the fare difference -- but only if you ask. After I discovered the downgrade, I asked for a seat toward the front and they even offered me a free drink and snacks from first class.

8.  Should you buy cancellation travel insurance?

I'm of an age that when you traveled, you would see kiosks or desks at airports selling Mutual of Omaha travel insurance. These days, airline and travel web sites do offer you the chance to buy insurance in case your flight is cancelled. For example, United Airlines has partnered with Allianz Global Assistance for insurance in case you have to cancel or interrupt your trip for an unexpected, covered reason. It covers prepaid and nonrefundable tickets, accommodations and other travel expenses. It also covers emergency medical assistance.

9.  What happens if a pilot becomes incapacitated and is unable to fly the plane?

I covered this question here: What Happens When Your Airline Pilot Dies Inflight. The remaining pilot is more than able to fly the plane. There may be an off-duty pilot who can help. In case of extreme emergency, the crew may ask if there's a pilot onboard.

10.  What are the longest and shortest flights in the world?

Conde Nast Traveler has determined that Dallas/Fort Worth-Sydney on Qantas is the longest. The shortest is Westray-Papa Westray on Scotland's Loganair, which takes less than a minute.

EDITOR'S NOTE: Please follow my travel-related magazines on Flipboard: Best of About Travel, a joint curation venture with my fellow About Travel Experts; and Travel-Go! There's Nothing Stopping You, all about the passenger experience on the ground and in the air. You can also find my travel-related boards on Pinterest and follow me on Twitter at @AvQueenBenet.

No comments:

Post a Comment